Animal Control

Please Note:

The Town of Ballston Dog Control Officer can assist with dog bites, dog complaints, etc. The Town does not have an Animal Control Officer to handle cats, bats, rodents or other wildlife. Please see below for information regarding rabid animals or nuisance wildlife. Scroll down for dog licensing, dog park, dog control law, or Dog Control Officer information.

Rabid Animals

If you suspect a rabid animal call 911 and they will dispatch the closest law enforcement officer to take care of the animal. An animal is tested for rabies only if it has bitten a person or pet.

Nuisance Wildlife

For assistance with nuisance wildlife (raccoons, skunks, deer, fox, etc.) or wildlife health, click the links below or contact the NYS DEC:

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation - assistance with nuisance wildlife

Wildlife Rehabilitators - assistance with sick or injured wild animals

NYS DEC Wildlife Office (Saratoga County is in Region 5):

For situations with bats, rodents or insects, please contact a pest control service specializing in nuisance wildlife removal.

Dog Licensing

*** Please see the FAQ section at the bottom of this page for help with dog licensing questions.***

New York State Law requires all dogs four months of age and older to be licensed in the Town in which they are harbored. Every dog owned or harbored in New York State for longer than 30 days must be licensed.

If you have adopted a dog from a shelter, you still need to register the dog with the Town.

Proof of rabies vaccination, in the form of the veterinarian rabies vaccination certificate, is required in addition to the dog license application linked below.  

For guide dogs, service dogs, therapy dogs, search dogs, etc., satisfactory documentation is required for exempt licenses.


  • $10 for spayed or neutered dogs
  • $17 for unaltered dogs
  • Checks may be made payable to: Town of Ballston. 

Please submit all information and payment to the Town Clerk's office.

Dog licenses are valid for one year; you will receive a renewal notice by mail.

Dog License Application (PDF)

Dog Park Registration

Jenkins Dog Park is located within Jenkins Park, on Jenkins Road in Burnt Hills. Annual registration is required, and is separate from the Town dog license. Visit the Jenkins Dog Park page for registration information as well as rules and regulations. 

Dog Control Law

Click below to view the Town of Ballston Dog Control Law:

Dog Control Law (PDF)

Dog Control Officers

The Town of Ballston Dog Control Officers can assist with dog complaints, dog bite cases, etc. The Town does not have an animal control officer to handle cats, bats, rodents or other wildlife.

Dog Control Officer:

  • Dave Brown

Assistant Dog Control Officer:

  • Tom Shambo                                                                                                                    
View All