Town Services

Animal Control

The Town of Ballston has a Dog Control Officer to assist with dog complaints, dog bite cases, etc. 

The Town does not have an animal control officer to handle cats, bats, rodents or other wildlife.

Visit the Animal Control page for contact information as well as information on dog licensing, which is required in New York State for dogs aged four months and older. Also find resources related to nuisance wildlife.

Building Department

The Building Department reviews plans, issues building permits and provides inspections. 

Visit the Building Department page for more information or call 518-490-2715.

Town Assessor

The Town Assessor's office provides assistance with the STAR Program for school tax relief and Veteran's Exemptions for property tax relief.

Visit the Town Assessor page for more information or call 518-490-2720.

Town Clerk 

The Town Clerk's office offers several services:

  • Dog licenses 
    • Required in NYS for dogs aged four months and older
    • Must be issued by the municipality in which you reside - if you move to a new town you must register your dog there
    • Annual renewal
  • Hunting, Fishing, Sporting Licenses
  • Marriage licenses - appointments preferred
  • Certified copies of birth, death, and marriage certificates - if the originals were issued by the Town of Ballston
  • Parking hang tags for disabled persons - for Town residents only, per New York State law 
  • Freedom of information law (FOIL) requests
  • Notarial services - please note that wills or power of attorney documents cannot be notarized at the Town Clerk's office
  • Facility rentals (Community Room, Ballston Lake Fire Department Memorial Park Pavilion, Jenkins Park Pavilion) 

Visit the Town Clerk page for more information on the services offered or call the Town Clerk's office at 518-490-2800 ext. 2502

Waste Collection

The Town does not provide trash collection services. Below are links to local waste management companies:

Visit the Recycling & Disposal page for information on Town junk collection, as well as recycling information for household hazardous waste, paint, electronics, televisions, batteries, tires, and much more.

Yard Waste Collection

The Town does not provide yard waste collection services. Contact your waste management company (see above) to inquire about yard waste collection.

Outlet Road Brush Dump and Yard Waste Facility

This facility is located on Outlet Road, and is for Town residents only, to dispose of brush, leaves, and lawn clippings. Residents can sign out the gate key Monday through Friday from 8 am to 3 pm in the Highway Office (upstairs in Town Hall, first door on the right). Please lock the gate between loads. The brush dump is closed during the winter. Call the Highway clerk at 518-490-2723 for more information.

Truck Loan Reservations

Each Spring and Fall the Highway Department makes dump trucks available to Town residents. The truck is delivered to your address so you can fill it with yard waste, tree trimmings, etc. and is then retrieved by the Highway Department. You must be a resident of the Town of Ballston, and reservations are required. Visit the Highway Department page for more information or call the Highway clerk at 518-490-2723 for reservation information.


Each Spring the Highway Department makes mulch available for Town residents. A notice will be posted on the website when it is available, which will include location information.