BURNT HILLS FORWARD
The Town of Ballston will be applying for the NY Forward state program that could potentially bring $4.5 million of investment in the hamlet of Burnt Hills.
THE NY FORWARD PROGRAM
The NY Forward program builds on the success of the Downtown Revitalization Initiative (DRI) that brought millions of private and public investment and matching state funding to downtowns across NY since 2016. The types of projects that are eligible for NY Forward funding range from renovation and activation of existing underutilized buildings to streetscape improvements and enhanced pedestrian connections. A key component of the NY Forward is to fund shovel-ready, transformational projects that have the potential to create community benefits through commercial revitalization.
The Town of Ballston seeks to develop a strong application for the second round of the NY Forward, due in September 2023. The target area will be the downtown Burnt Hills commercial corridors, as illustrated in the map below.
THE BURNT HILLS FORWARD COMMITTEE
The Town created a Burnt Hills Forward Committee to accomplish this task, The Committee is made up of education and business leaders, community advocates, and government staff -- all members of the community who volunteered to give their best effort to craft a NY Forward application that could provide an incredible boost to our community and commercial activities. The Town also retained a consultant to assist with the effort.
BURNT HILLS FORWARD COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Eric Connolly - Town Supervisor
Kelly Jasinski - Town Councilwoman
Cindy Turgeon - Cupola Café
Charlie Morris - Morris Ford and BHBLBPA
Chris Newell - Newell Family Insurance and BHBLBPA
Rebecca Darling - Town of Ballston Library
Dacey Bonney - BHBL CSD & BHBLBPA
Darlene Bower - Realtor & BHBL Rotary member
Kurt Bedore - KB Engineering
Mary Beth Walsh - NYS Assemblywoman
Mike Brewster - Gil's Garage
Patrick Whitton - Town ZBA member, Parks Committee member
Peter R. Sawyer - HVCC professor & BHBL Rotary member
Patrick McGrath - BHBL CSD Superintendent
Rick Reynolds - Town Historian
Steve Walsh - Upstate Detailing Inc.
We need your help to develop the strongest possible application! Engaging the community is critical to understand what projects and improvements are the most important for Burnt Hills residents and businesses. There will be multiple opportunities to provide public input that informs the application. Public events will be posted on Burnt Hills Forward social media platforms as well as on this dedicated webpage.
Below there are some ways you can contribute to this effort, and some upcoming events:
- Do you own a property within the target area and would like to discuss some projects you have in mind that involve community benefits? Contact the Burnt Hills Forward Committee at BurntHillsForward@townofballstonny.org to start a conversation.
- Come to the indoor mini-golf event at the Library on February 24-25, 2023 to learn more of what the NY Forward program may mean to our community. You can provide your initial input on the vision and goals for the program.
- An in-person public workshop will be hosted in March to gather feedback, comments, and further ideas from the community that could be incorporated into the application. Check back here in the new few weeks for more info.
- A public survey will be launched during the process. Stay tuned!
- Send your questions and input to the Committee at BurntHillsForward@townofballstonny.org.